Sunday 22 January 2012

Wild 'n' Wacky

I feel that 2012 has not started positively for me. Normally, I love to plan for the new year ahead and enjoy the first few weeks of putting that plan into practise. As the weeks go on the plan may get pushed further and further to one side but I still feel content that it worked for a while and although I haven't continued everything in earnest I am still fulfilling some of my annual ambitions. This year however has been different. The first few weeks of January 2012 have been tough!

:: Although we accepted an offer on our house and placed an offer on another house back in September 2011 we are still waiting for the chain to complete and receive a date for moving. This has been complicated by the fact that our buyers mortgage agreement will run out in February and ours will run out in March. So it is currently looking like our buyer will pull out and we will therefore have to withdraw our offer, taking us back to square one!

:: The company that M works for is making huge cuts which means we live in the fear that he will be made redundant. The realisation that I may have to find a job and start working again totally shook my world and made me realise how much I take my current position for granted. It is a privilege to be able to walk MJ to and from school everyday, to have time to meet up with friends and their kids, to have time to sit and read stories whenever we feel like it etc etc.

:: Our church family is going through a hard time and some hard decisions are having to be discussed and made.

And because of these things, M and I are finding ourselves sitting up late each night talking things over and over and over leaving us exhausted each day, just about able to keep the day to day necessities going but leaving our 2012 plans in the dirt!

However, as we headed for 'Wild n Wacky' today our plans took a turn for the better and we ended up in the forest with our friends. After an hour or so of fresh air, the children running free making up their own games, a hot chocolate to warm us and some adult chat I felt like a different person and my friend (who also does not get much sleep due to a 5 month old!) remarked how walking in the forest restores her balance. Then it clicked... I don't want 'wild n wacky', I want balance!

And so as a new week begins, even though all our troubles rumble on I am going to seek 'balance'. I am going to spend time alone, reading and mediating. I am going to think of and serve others with joy. I am going to rest when I feel tired. I am going to go for my 3 x weekly runs but walk if I am struggling. I am going to aspire to eat healthily but if I need a coffee and cake then I will sit and savour every mouthful. I am going to play with my children without tidying their room at the same time and I am going to buy some new tea towels :)

'For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.'
2 Timothy 1:6-8

1 comment:

  1. Keeping my finger crossed about the house and job for you. Hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete