Monday 14 November 2011

War: who looses?


'A thousand splendid suns' by Khaled Hosseini is a fantastic book and one that I was unable to put down. It opened my eyes to the reality of life on the streets of Afghanistan and helped me understand a little of the wars the country has had to endure in the past 30 years. It's portrayal of the innocent victims of a war torn country was captivating but also heart breaking.


Friday was Armistice day and as my parents were visiting we decided to go along to the American War Memorial for the 11am rememberance service.We considered and remembered those who bravely found in battles only to loose their lives.

I am struggling with the way we celebrate the lives of soliders who go to war and those who loose their lives to war. Do we ever consider the millions who are simply living their day to day life when their world is turned upside down by war, their families are torn apart by war and they are left with devastation in every way. Even now as I type, parents and children are being separated, homes being destroyed and many many living in continual fear. Who are the real victims of war...those who choose to go and fight or those ordinary people who are in the worng place at the wrong time?

I wish I could eloquently articulate my thoughts but writing is not my strength so I suggest instead that you read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment