Saturday 30 April 2011

Today at the Tate Britain

Our day out in London found us bypassing the lengthy queues for Westminster Abbey (apparently the flowers and decorations from the Royal wedding could still be seen) and continuing along the river to the Tate Britain. I had been there once before as a teenager when in search for the Tate Modern. On realising that it wasn't the Tate Modern I was disappointed and didn't give it much of a chance to impress me. Therefore, I went along today with low expectations.

I couldn't have judged it more wrong...perhaps it has improved since then, perhaps in age I appreciate different things, whatever the reason, I thoroughly enjoyed it today.

It had everything we love about an Art gallery.



:: Kids activities - MJ made a sculpture which began as scaffolding and then became a snowboarding ramp! In order for him to leave it behind (it was 10am and we had a day of walking, buses and trains in front of us, so there was no way I was carrying it around) we told him that they would like to display it in the gallery with the other sculptures!!!

:: Good cafe supplying coffee and cakes.


:: Interesting exhibitions - The Turner exhibition allows you to take part in copying some of his drawings. MJ and M had a go.
                                   - MJ and I loved looking at James Stirling's Architectural models and I even tried to explain to him what a 'drawing in section' was...at which point he ran away and I got the point that I was going on about architecture far to much to a 3 yr old! It did bring me back to pre-children days and made me momentarily long for a drawing board, craft knife and white card.


:: A fun shop - There were so many excellent children's books. I wanted to buy them all. MJ choose a robot badge which I have promised him we will try and make. Watch this space!


Now I am fighting with the network to get my photos uploaded while making a third cushion for the lounge...the same cushions that I first thought about replacing this time last year...I can't believe it has taken this long to sew up a few squares!

No comments:

Post a Comment