Saturday 9 October 2010

Tragedy, Fear and Hope

This past week has been one of tragedy, fear and hope.

I will explain.

Tragedy::

On Thursday 29th September my 36 year old cousin died giving birth to her third child. A husband is left to care for and raise a 4 year old girl, 1 year old boy and new born baby. How is he to understand this sudden tragedy which had filled his world?

Fear::

Last night we watched the film, ‘the girl with the dragon tattoo’. It was originally a book written by Stieg Larsson. Although it was a well made film I would not recommend anyone to watch it. I don’t believe it is profitable to fill our minds and thoughts with such evil ideas and imagery. It left me feeling fearful for my own children. What if they grow up to be influenced by the evil in this world and therefore walk an evil path? What if they are the victim of evil? How would I ever cope if anyone hurt one by my babies?

Hope::

Thankfully this morning as I was sitting alone, talking to God about some things on my mind and reading the Bible (Gods words to us) I came across this verse.

‘Do not be afraid of sudden terror or of the ruin of the wicked, when it comes, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.’ Proverbs ch 3 v 25,26.

These words jumped out of the page at me. It summerized just what I was feeling and filled me with calm for the future of me and my family. If tragedy or evil should come to us I hope that I will trust these words and know a confidence that only God can give. What else can we hold onto in this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment