Saturday 13 June 2020

Walking with little ones, Granite Trail, Newcastle, Co.Down, N.I.


What a day! The sun was shining and we were in the Mourne mountains. I have always loved the Mournes and visited them most often in my teens. From doing Duke of Ed to hanging out with friends, it was always a fun and cheap day out. Since returning to live in N.I., almost 4 years ago, I have been longing for the times when I could go trekking alone or for the kids to be big enough to walk with me.

Top of the bogie line, Newcastle, Co.Down

With my Dad’s old memories of a trail up to a granite quarry, we found the Bogie Line and began our ascent. A steep climb away from the sea and into the mountains. Ezra and MJ reached the top first. 
Over the stile and finding the track heading right into the forest we enjoyed the flatter terrain and stunning views over Newcastle and the Irish Sea.

Our trek downhill took us down the river and into Donard Carpark. The weather was so nice, we were able to take our sandals off and paddle in the cool river water. My hands were too busy holding small hands and shoes while navigating the river boulders to take any photos. 

The river and trail into Donard Park were busy with people enjoying the sunshine. Thankfully the ice cream kiosks in Newcastle were open as we were ready for something to cool us down and give us energy to get back to the car.


View to Newcastle, Co.Down from Granite trail

No comments:

Post a Comment