Wednesday 22 January 2014

Master bedroom makeover #1

As if things aren't busy enough in this house at the moment, last weekend we decided to have a go at redecorating our bedroom. There were a few thoughts in the air which sparked the activity. I was v tired of the mouldings on the walls (I would love to know what was going on in the mind of the one who created them in the first place), I wanted an Annie Sloan project and our bed seemed like a good one to start on and I was looking for a project which I could do with Lj on our 3 free weekday mornings.

On the first morning, Lj and I removed the mouldings and re plastered the surface, ready for painting. That evening Nana on the motorway called to say they would like to come down for the weekend in two weeks time...so the dead line was set!




M and I painted the walls 'Mineral Mist' (a pale sky blue) on Saturday evening. We have lots of happy memories of late night painting and this was another to add to the list.

Before we began painting the bed we purchased Annie Sloan, Old white paint, clear wax and 'special' AKA expensive brushes. 



The bed took two coats of paint and a little sanding before it was ready for the wax.


We are almost finished. One of the most time consuming activities was M and I agreeing on a new duvet cover and pillowcases. The conclusions I have come to regarding this is that I love geometric designs and that M is obsessed with Scandinavian Folk design! The final purchase will be revealed in the next post. Neither of us got what we were looking for but what we did get we both love and I discovered a lovely new brand in the process!

Things still to do::
Decide whether the curtains did actually shrink in the wash, or if my ironing wasn't what it should be and whether I need to add a little border at the bottom!
Paint the door and replace the 80's brass handle.
Source new beside tables which I can paint white...I don't think the current Ikea ones will cut the new style.



No comments:

Post a Comment